Sunday, August 5, 2012

Quilt Block Carrier

I recently saw a Moda Bake Shop Tip that someone used cookie sheets to stack their quilt block pieces on so they could carry it to their sewing machine. A friend of mine saw on a blog somewhere where a woman covered foam core boards with flannel (or batting) and glued a fabric binding all around the edges. She showed our applique group how to make these boards. So that got me thinking...

if I took both those ideas of the cookie sheet and the flannel board, I could lay a piece of flannel inside the cookie sheet. I serged the edges of the flannel and set it in the cookie sheet. If you have a stainless steel cookie sheet you could place magnets in the corners to hold down the flannel. If you have aluminum sheets, you could place a small weighted pincushion or other a few flat marbles to hold the flannel in place.

Then place your fabric pieces on the flannel, arranged how you would sew them. I like using the cookie sheet because it's easy to carry from sewing machine to ironing board. It's also something practically all of us have in our homes, so no need to purchase anything. The flannel isn't permanently attached (and it's non-toxic too) so you can still remove it and make a batch of cookies later.

Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. Very nifty idea! Thanks for sharing it with u.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi what a great tip thanks for sharing. Thanks also for commenting on my blog, I took off my settings to be a no-reply blogger as all comments were coming through to my email and I started to get spam - I now rely on people clicking on my blogger id from the comment and then either commenting on my blog or using the Contact Me button on my blog - much safer! If you still want to class me as a no reply blogger thats fine as I know that this takes more time. Thanks for letting me know though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi me again - ignore the comment above about me taking my no reply off I have now put it back on - thought I might as well for this hop and the next one at least! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tip Daryl. I didn't even know there was such a need for a block carrier but I can see that the next time I'm trying to be sure I sew a block in proper order, this carrier will come to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea, and I will definitely try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a pile of 10 or so foam core boards my daughter had from art school long ago. I used 6 of them by covering them with flannel and hanging them for a design wall. I think with one of them I'll cut it in half, cover it and trim it and give one to my daughter and one for me. Great idea. I'm working on a swoon quilt right now and this is a great idea for playing with the colors and values for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the original cookie sheet idea, too, and, while a great idea, I don't have that many sheets... your's is a great blend, and takes up less space... thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Daryl, I'm always having problems where to put my pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...