Saturday, October 27, 2012

Mini Japanese Origami Kimonos

I made these Japanese origami fabric kimonos at my fiber arts groups. We had a guest teacher who taught us how to make these.  I had taken a class from her a few years ago, but I had forgotten how to do them. The first 3 photos, I followed the instructions, but I did the last one a little differently. If you know me, you know I am always trying to do things easier and find better ways. Read each caption to learn more.
The first 3 kimonos here are lined with a fabric that you can barley see. The lining makes the fabric thicker and a bit harder to work with, since they are folded and pressed. The only sewing is to sew the lining and the outside fabric together. So that got me thinking...
...and so I tried this kimono without any lining at all. You can't see the lining much anyhow and without the bulk of the lining, it made the kimono easier to fold and press and no sewing was needed. So it was easier to make and I needed half the amount of fabric, since I didn't line it. Can you even see much difference?
 
These kimonos are being given to my daughter. I actually made 6 of them, but 2 were of the same fabrics. She is going to choose the ones she wants to keep and give the rest to her friend who just had a birthday last week. Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. Your altered design looks less bulky as well as having a crisper look...especially the corners. These are very pretty! What size are they, out of curiosity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daryl, the fabric you used is just beautiful. Your daughter is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kimonos are awesome - love the fabrics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Kimonos and gorgeous fabrics. Where will your daughter wear them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daryl, I love these kimonos, they are absolutely adorable!!!
    You did a beautiful job, I love the fabrics!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Marisa-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I missed this class Daryl. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I missed this class Daryl. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE kimonos! I would LOVE for you to share these at my Submarine Sunday link party!

    T'onna @ Submarine Sunday Aboard the USS Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! WOW! these are GORGEOUS Daryl:) and I'm sure your daughter wil LOVE LOVE them:)
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! I'm stopping by to let you know that I'm featuring your mini kimonos @ Submarine Sunday #5. Come on over and grab a feature button!

    T'onna @ Navy Wifey Peters Aboard the USS Crafty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...