Friday, June 28, 2013

Kumihimo or Japanese Braiding

I bought a Kumihimo (Japanese Braiding) kit when I went to the Fiber Arts Fiesta in Albuquerque in this past May. I have only done the simplest braid so far. I checked out a few library books and they show how to make several different braid combinations similar to knitting different stitches. What these books do not explain is how to make the braided cording into something. They have ideas to use it for making necklaces, bracelets, drapery ties, belts, etc. But they do not show how to do any of those. So I am playing around with how and what to do with the cording I make. Also, I am guessing how much ribbon or yarn to use as I have no idea how much I might need to wind around the bobbins.
This is the Kumihimo disk and the yarn bobbins. I have a chenille yarn I am braiding right now. I thought these would make wonderful bag handles.
I asked my 5-year old grandson to be a hand model for me so I could take a photo of the  bracelet I just made. His wrist is the same size as mine!
I used a variegated ribbon yarn to create this braided bracelet.
Not quite sure how or what size crimps to use because of all the ribbon thickness, I decided to just make a loop on one end and a few knots on the other end. This way the loop goes over the knot to hold it in place on the wrist. It worked perfectly. I then wove the ribbon ends into the knot and snipped the excess ribbon. I gave this bracelet to my daughter because she chose this ribbon color and asked me to make her one.
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. good morning, I was looking up kumihimo patterns last night and I saw that often for jewelry people would us a metal finding that looked like a very small cup that you stuffed the ends into. it made the beginning and endings look very clean and then you could put a closure on it. I'll try to find a photo and send it to you. I'm sure its something Michael's sells.
    great hand model you got there.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this looks quite interesting, Daryl. All those unknown would send me over the edge! I'll be watching to see what you make of all these unknowns. Is this technique similar to the plastic lacing cords that we all learned how to make at camp when we were kids? Every mother in the country gets a new key ring at the end of camp! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty ribbon bracelet. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've heard of Japanese Braiding. Looks really pretty and I'm sure the bag handles will look amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...