Thursday, December 4, 2014

Painted Flower Quilts

I took some photos of a Sunflower and some Cosmos flowers when I was in Sisters, Oregon in July for the annual quilt show there. I used Picasa program and turned the photos into a black and white sketch. I then printed them onto fabric. You really need an inkjet printer to do this, but I still printed mine using my laser printer. I traced the basic lines of the flowers with a pigma pen because the laser printer is not permanent on fabric and the printed lines aren't very dark. Once I had the lines drawn in, I used Caran d'Ache Neocolor 2 Artist Crayons to color and then paint the flowers. The laser printer made the colors look dull, that's why an inkjet printer works better. After they dried I heat set with an iron and then quilted these small quilts.
This is the photo I took of the sunflower.
Sunflower.

This is the photo I took of the Cosmos flowers.
Cosmos quilt.


Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. I am amazed at all of the new things you try. I didn't know you could do this. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! I also didn't know this was possible to do. Your free motion quilting on these are wonderful. I love the cosmo's, probably because it was my dad's favorite flower and he planted them every year. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are amazing. Thanks for sharing the process with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Daryl, great job!! You won over my blog for the marker storage, Woot Woot!!! Please email me your address so I can get your winnings out. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great process I would love to try that sometime. I would want to take a photo of my dogs and make them into a small applique. you are the flower queen and you did a fantastic job. Next spring you can go to the biopark and go crazy taking photos of the flowers and then turning them into quilt art.
    great job
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just BEAUTIFUL, Daryl. One day I'm going to try this technique - my To Do list is too long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous! Perfect look-a-likes to the photos but far more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lowly, cheerful flowers for a soggy day. Thanks for the clear explanation. I hope to try this technique soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pieces! Printing on fabric can be so much fun, got to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting technique. So creative. I always like to look at your creations and those two little quilts are a good example of what I like to discover at your place. The cosmos are my favorite with their color and their delicate petals. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...