Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Cozy for a Cone of Thread

I was playing around one day and wanted to make something to hold the thread in place on a large thread cone. I got out my felt and did a little embroidery and  came up with this thread cone cozy. I have about 60 cones and I knew I didn't want to make 60 of these, but I did made 2. One is in black, but I didn't take any photos of it. This works well but I should have made the closure adjustable, because when the thread gets used a lot the snap will be too loose on the cone. I figured I will just use it on a fairly full cone anyhow and then switch it to another cone if this orange thread gets used a lot. It was easy to make and if I ever need a hand project I could make a few more, but for now I won't be making any more.
I used acrylic felt for making this cozy.

The back I sewed a snap to close it.



Another use for this felt cozy is to wrap it around the wires of an iron or sewing machine, etc. so that the cord stays together when I take my machine and iron to a class or a retreat. If I make more, I will use Velcro as the closure so that the cozy is adjustable.
Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. This is a sweet thread cozy! You could always remove the snap and swap it for Velcro. Wow, wouldn't your 60 cones of thread look art awesome with a custom cozy around each! It's a beautiful virtual picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your embroidery is great, Daryl. You have more patience than I with hand sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do a wonderful job with all your hand work!
    Question -- Jackie here that bought the Bernina Record from you.
    Have you ever used the #68 foot (hemmer)?
    Any tricks/techniques that you can pass along.
    I'm just rolling up a tiny hem on a prom dress.
    Thanks Daryl -- Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. so adorable,if you added a tie closure you could use it longer. I love your embroidery it would make me smile everytime I reached for a cone. i'm envious of your gorgeous stitching.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cute Daryl. A fun idea and I could just imagine how beautiful a whole display of these would be, all lined up! Great idea too to use them to bundle cords. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of a thread cone cozy...very clever of you dear. Yes 60 would be a lot to create. The idea of Velcro does make it adjustable.
    Felt s such a wonderful medium to work with. Embracing Creative Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea, whether for thread cones or wires. And beautiful too. Imagine, 60 thread cones decorated so beautifully in your sewing room! That would be quite a view.
    Thank you for participating to my Fabric, Thread and Yarn link party. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute idea! Would Velcro work so it could adjust to other sizes?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...