Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Prickly Pear Quilt Top

I made the blocks for this top several years ago. I actually made an extra 2 blocks for some weird reason (maybe I can't count, lol!). These blocks got buried in a pile of UFO's for years. I have no idea if I had a plan with the extra blocks or not. I decided these blocks needed to be put into a top and the extra blocks I can use for something else. This is a pattern by Karen Stone, called Prickly Pear, which is perfect since prickly pear cactus grow here. I think this pattern must be out of print now.

I used batik fabrics for the prickly pears and a commercial black cotton and purple cotton for the background fabrics. I machine blanket stitched with variegated threads on some of the shapes and solid colors on others, to sew the applique pieces in place. This is a positive/negative quilt block. You have to be careful when cutting the shapes out, because you mix the shapes up so that you have different fabrics on each block. I found this to be fun, although a lot of work too. Now I just need to quilt it.




Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Pretty! I love the colors! I think the positive/negative would have driven me batty and I'd probably have a weird looking quilt, haha--but yours is so neat and bright (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow great colors and I love the images you used for your p/n blocks. I've never made a block using that technique I assumed it was difficult. Its so vibrant it practically shimmers. great job I can't wait to see how you quilt it.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Daryl and I can't wait to see how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece and work. Lots of work it looks like

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...