Sunday, February 26, 2017

Marilyn Cosmetic Bag

I made one Patchwork version of the Marilyn Cosmetic Bag last year and I loved the pattern, the size and ease of making this bag that I knew I would make more. The pattern for the Marilyn Zippered Cosmetic Bag was designed by Imazz Patterns. I like that you can make it in all one fabric, 2 fabrics or use up those scraps and make a scrappy version. You can also add inside pockets or not, and a wrist strap or not, so this pattern is versatile too.

I took 2 Marilyn Bags to show at my quilt group and was asked how much they were and the woman sitting next to me purchased both of them to give to her daughters. I used a Southwest print fabric for one and used the same fabric on the second one, but I used a yellow fabric on the bottom half. But darn it I didn't take photos of the bag first, so I cannot show you those 2 bags. That will teach me to take photos before showing my bags next time, lol!!! Someone did photograph the Show & Tell, but so far they haven't posted those photos, so when they do, I will share them with you. This bag is so great for using small amounts of fabric, whether you do the scrappy version or the 2-toned version.

I also reduced the bag size in order to use some smaller pieces of fabrics that I had. On the smaller versions, I did not add the wrist strap or inside pockets, so those went together even faster.

Here are my large and small versions of Marilyn. These are for sale, with the prices listed under each photo. 

I made this large Marilyn all scrappy. SOLD!

I quilted it with wavy lines.

The other side is a bit different with some different fabric scraps.


I added a divided slip pocket inside.

The verse side of the bag.

This orange SW print is what I used to make the other 2 Marilyn bags that I had sold before I got a photo of them.

This fabric was a rayon batik scrap that was donated at my quilt group. I added fusible interfacing to stabilize the fabric and it worked well. The rayon has a soft feel to it. I am keeping this one!

I also quilted this in wavy lines.

I added a divided slip pocket inside this bag too.



Nice size depth to the bag.

Yes I took lots of pics of this one, because I love it and it's mine, lol!!!

I made this bag smaller with no pockets or wrist strap. 

Same fabric as above, but this one is a bit larger, but still smaller than the original pattern.

You can see the size difference here. I didn't have enough of this fabric to make 2 the same size, so I made one of them even smaller. The larger one is still a smaller version that the original pattern. SOLD!

I made 3 bags using this colorful SW fabric and the bottom of all 3 bags turned out looking great, so I had to show you how they came together, forming a cool looking pattern after they were stitched.

The bottom of this one is slightly different than the other bag 2 photos below this. On this one you can see the black formed the same shape as the colored shape.

All 3 SW colorful print bags, made smaller than the original Marilyn bag.

The pattern on the bottom of this one shows a smaller black pattern than the bottom of the bag 2 photos above this one.

All 3 SW colorful bags from the same piece of fabric

This is the interior I used for the brown Kokopelli print fabrics, which I show further on down.

Inside of the SW colorful print bag above with the fuchsia zipper.

I had a small piece of this fabric, which is a SW print designed by J. Michelle Watts (of Roswell, NM). SOLD!

Side one here. (SOLD)

Side 2 here. They turned out very close. I lined it with an orange print fabric. The photo of the lining came out too blurred to show you. (SOLD)

2 smaller sizes here of the Kokopelli print fabric. SOLD.


This is the same Kokopelli print as above in a different colorway. SOLD!

This is another smaller bag. This is a companion fabric to the Mola print fabric that I made 2 bags and showed up earlier in this post. No Molas on this fabric, just the same background as the Mola print fabric. SOLD!

So there you have it, 13 Marilyn Bags (plus I made those other 2 that I already sold, and another small 2-toned Kokopelli that I didn't photograph yet, for a total of 16 Marilyn Bags)! These make great gifts to use for more than just cosmetics.  Thanks Imazz for a well written pattern that is easy and fun to make with fun variations.
Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. I love the colors of the brown bag! And the quilting on the brown and the blue bags. But they're all beautiful, really. I wish you a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those SW fabrics are awesome! There are similarities in design to ethnic batiks here.I love how the bag bottoms turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for those quick gifts that always occur during the year. Love that you sold 2 already. Of course I adore YOUR blue bag the best.. Happy to have you sewing and sharing now that you are better from our sciatica. Lovely Week Ahead Dear...<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are great little bags the one with the fabric from the Roswell designer is my favorite. They are all adorable and very practical. thanks for showing the details. I love finding patterns that really can make a small piece of fabric pop.
    TAra

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. makeup organizer bag

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Exceptional work!Liposuction Sydney

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...